You know you’re stupid when you spend hours creating top notch audio for your readers’ enjoyment, then spend twice that long trying to figure out just what the hell you’re doing wrong getting said audio out to the people who pay your salary. That’s what I’ve been doing lately. First, I uploaded a podcast right before we left for San Fran. I quickly downloaded it, threw it on the iPod so the entire family could enjoy it on the trip down, and left town. As I played it, well let me paraphrase a great movie, “The podcast, it just stopped, man, it just stopped!” About halfway through, the thing came to a screeching halt. Luckily, it ended in a spot that made sense, and people may very well have been fooled into thinking I meant to do it that way. But I didn’t. So I went nuts all weekend trying to put it out of my mind. Finally, I got home and fixed it.
So on Friday, I made another one. I really liked this one, too. I checked the link and let it rip. Then, last night I wondered why nobody had been downloading it. Sure, maybe nobody is downloading it because nobody wants it, but I don’t believe that. I started looking into stuff and figured out that iTunes does not read the enclosure files unless they are tagged with an extension, like .mp3 or .m4a or something. I urinate on that rule. So I had to figure out a way to get those tags on things. Basically, to keep people on iTunes listening, I have to link directly to the file and not go through the wonderful Textpattern file download interface, which tracks downloads for people like me who demand to know how many people on the planet have heard my voice. I can live with it until I figure out a better way.
Bottom line: things are fixed, and you can get your fix by clicking that iTunes link. If you want just the XML feed of the podcasts, the link has changed to http://feeds.feedburner.com/mrjerz-podcast.
Keep listening. I think that’s all. If you read this and think I missed something, don’t tell me. I get offended by that kind of thing.