Another installment of the Reactionary Hurl, the series in which I take the easy road to blogging and react to news in short, opinionated, useless snippets. It’s difficult to even find a place to begin these things sometimes.
- Feldman!. From he RGJ via The Scripper I learned that Corey Feldman is going to teach acting to unsuspecting saps with some cash to burn. In Reno! If only I knew an aspiring actor who knows someone who likes to spend cash on him. Daryl, that’s you. (RENO WIRE)
- Where’s your Wordpress now? Someone seems to be embedding nefarious code in Wordpress themes. Maybe. It could be a security hole, or it could be that those unemployed textile factory workers in Russia have figured out a way to make ends meet while searching for the next “Persian” rug-making gig to open up. And what’s more disappointing? That Al Gore, a smart guy, potentially got hacked, or that he uses a crappy CMS? Here’s a vote for crappy CMS. (?)
- Those ads generated within content absolutely suck ass. First the RGJ installs the crap (and subsequently dissed longtime writers—coincidence?) and now “Reno’s Best Blogger (according to readers of the ironically traditional alt weekly)” and second to last place finisher in the [too many digits to care] to [even more digits than the first gigantic number] category in some ultra-conservative blog contest (seriously, what reader nominated the site?) throws them up (get the reference?). Good God, what’s next? Posts about writing for SEO and tips on formatting a job resume? But who am I to judge? All I know is that the site has been moving toward a way less local focus and [baiting] for links from bigger sites so ad revenue can increase and someone can ultimately quit a day job (or at least buy enough courage to stop pretending that half the site’s readers don’t already know who she is). Or am I not supposed to tell anyone that? At the risk of being completely given up on, and just so I can’t be accused of not offering some sort of solution, I suggest Myrna hooks up with the Russian guy above. She can probably learn a thing or two on monetizing the web from that guy. (Reno and Its Discontents)
- Would you have asked Katherine why? If I had felt the same way, I would have done so instead of writing about it in a way to suggest her kind is bad for society. See, I think the people that are bad for society are the phonies. Katherine, while she has to smile and be nice to people because it’s her job, is real enough to wear flair that tells us who she really is. To be disappointed by that and not say anything to Katherine, and to also tell others that she is the problem, is far worse for society than being honest. Of course, if you believe that story, you probably have over a dozen self-help, how to make it in business books on your shelf that you quote at parties and kill many fine moments with. So forget it. And be a doer. (Fuze)
- Can we keep the circle going? If Scott is smart, it ends here. In case you missed it, click that link, which will lead you back here for what I’m asking about. Have fun and join in! (Around Carson)
And just to be clear, please read the initial Reactionary Hurl so you can understand the context.